Gifts in Wills
What is a Bequest?
A Bequest is a gift that is made in a person’s last Will. It can be any amount of your choice, whether small or large. It can either be a specific gift (such as a sum of cash, a real property or shares) or it can be a percentage or fraction of the residue of your estate.
You can nominate how you would like your Bequest to be used. For example, you may wish for your Bequest to be used for the general charitable purposes of RBWH Foundation or you may wish for your Bequest to be used for a specific purpose (for example, to fund a certain kind of research, to purchase a certain piece of equipment or to fund an annual scholarship or research fellowship).
Whatever the size or form your Bequest takes, it will make a difference to the health and wellbeing of Queenslanders and the other people throughout the world who benefit from research undertaken at RBWH.
How to Make a Bequest to RBWH Foundation
Making a Bequest to RBWH Foundation is relatively simple – you just need to follow these easy steps:
Step One: Make a Will
- If you haven’t already got a Will, you will need to make one. No matter how big or small your estate, having a Will is important in ensuring that your assets are distributed according to your wishes.
- It is highly recommended that you seek legal advice in preparing your Will as it is an important document and failing to prepare it properly could render it (or the Bequest) invalid.
Step Two: Ensure correct Bequest wording
- If you would like to make a Bequest to RBWH Foundation, it is important that the correct wording is used.
- Therefore, you may like to provide the following wording to your solicitor for inclusion in your Will.
A specific or monetary gift:
“I give and bequeath…[insert particulars of the specific asset/sum of money being given] to Royal Brisbane & Women’s Hospital Foundation (ABN 37 882 212 480) presently of Block 20, RBWH, Butterfield Street, Herston, Queensland, to be applied for… [insert either ‘its general charitable purposes’ or insert the specific purpose that you would like the gift to be used for].”
A residuary gift:
“I give, devise and bequeath… [insert either ‘all of my residuary Estate’ or (insert the fraction or percentage of your residuary Estate that you would like to give) of my residuary Estate’] to Royal Brisbane & Women’s Hospital Foundation (ABN 37 882 212 480) presently of Block 20 RBWH, Butterfield Street, Herston, Queensland to be applied for… [insert either ‘its general charitable purposes’ or insert the specific purpose that you would like the gift to be used for].
Whether you make a specific gift or a residuary gift, after you make the gift in the Will, you should also include the following declaration –
‘In relation to that gift, I declare as follows:
a) general charitable intent shall apply;
b) receipt signed by the Chief Executive Officer for the time being or another person authorised by Royal Brisbane & Women’s Hospital Foundation shall constitute a full and sufficient discharge to my Executors;
c) my Executors are not obliged to see or enquire into the application of the gift so made by me;
d) If Royal Brisbane & Women’s Hospital Foundation has amalgamated with another institution, society or body of persons or changed its name before my death, the benefit intended to be given by the gift shall be paid and/or transferred to the institution, society or body of persons existing at the date of my death as a result of such amalgamation or change of name. If Royal Brisbane & Women’s Hospital Foundation is found to have ceased to exist before my death, the benefit intended to be given by the gift shall be paid and/or transferred to such charity or charities and if more than one in such shares as my Executors in their absolute discretion shall think fit and I express the wish that in so doing, my Executors shall seek to benefit a charity or charities as close as possible in purpose to that intended to be benefited by the original gift made by me.
Step Three: Advise RBWH Foundation of your Bequest
- If you have included RBWH Foundation in your Will, or plan to in the future, please let us know. That way we are aware of the Bequest and also can keep you up-to-date with information regarding the Foundation’s activities or your particular area of research interest.
- You can advise us of your Bequest by calling 1300 363 786, sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailing a letter to RBWH Foundation, PO Box 94, Royal Brisbane Hospital, QLD, 4029.